Recipes

Monday, June 23, 2014

The Countdown

Well, I'm in the final week of possible bunny pregnancies.  Both of my girls have nest boxes, plenty to eat, and drink, lots of hay, and all of my extra attention. Seeing as we aren't experienced enough yet to palpitate our girls, we don't know if they are actually pregnant or not. Since Ginger started nesting super early, we don't even know if she's having a false pregnancy, is an early nester, or if she miscarried.

I have heard lots of different things on bunnies that nest early. Sometimes if it's there first pregnancy (as it is hers) they will start the nesting process early. I know that Doris was an early nester for her first pregnancy which is why I think none of her kits made it. She hasn't really shown any interest in her nest box yet. She's been in it checking things out, but hasn't done anything towards pulling fur, or arranging the hay in her box.

I will admit, I'm on pins and needles over this, not sure what is or isn't coming. I've already had some interest in the kits if my girls are pregnant. I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet. I mean, yes the plan is to sell off some, and eat some. I think its the whole unknown thing.

I do have a plan in place though should Doris have kits, and abandon them. I'm going to fix up a place for the kits here in the house to keep them warm, and safe. I have some kitten milk, and a special dropper. I plan on trying to nurse them myself. (yeah, not sure how that's going to go) I do know that this is her last chance. I've had an offer on her should she turn out to be a bad mom. I think they are wanting her for a pet, because she's a blue bunny.

In other farm news, I'm still getting lots of black raspberries!!! I have a freezer full of berries, and fresh chicken at this point. Not a bad combination...lol...I'm going to be making some fresh jam once things slow down a touch.

My Easter Egg chicks are going outside in the grow out coops today or tomorrow. They are starting to get a bit on the cramped side here in the house. They are mostly fully feathered at this point. With it being warmer outside, that's a huge help in getting them outside faster. I do feel kind of bad for these guys right now. I'm sure they don't mind each other, but I'll bet they are ready for a little stretch.

It will probably be the middle of July when they and the Tetra Tints are ready to be out of the grow out coops, and into the grow out pen, where they can socialize, and run and play and well...grow. My favorite part about that is not having to keep filling the little food and water bottles. At that point, they will have a big water jug, and a big feeder to use.

Yesterday (shame on me for not mentioning it) was Bella's first birthday. Right now she's sleeping at my feet, which is why I haven't done as much this morning as I usually do. Its so nice when she decides to be all warm and cuddly like that. Usually she's a blurry mass of tail, legs and wriggling doggy body.

So, now that you guys are all caught up on todays Farm news, I need to make myself start moving, and start getting things ready for the chick move, and go gather eggs, and everything else that goes along with having chickens, and rabbits, and worms, and dogs...lol

Have a great week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment