Recipes

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Worm tubs turned




Hi there everybody!!! I got my worm tubs turned over into other tubs today. I didn't realize just how packed down everything on the bottom had gotten. I'm going to need to get some more tubs it looks like. As you can see in the pictures I have plenty of worms, and their castings are a nice beautiful shade of black. In the bottom picture, you can see in my hand that brown bead looking thing, well that is a worm cocoon. I wasn't really looking for them as much as I was looking at the health of my worms, looking at their color, and their movements just to make sure they are as lively as they need to be. I can tell you however that I did see a large number of cocoons as I was pouring everything over into new tubs to get everything broken up.

I did set up a new tub today as well. So now I have 6 tubs. 2 very large tubs, and 4 regular size tubs. The new tub probably only has about 600 in it at the moment. I just took large clumps of worms out of each tub and put in that tub. At the moment that tub is my fresh breeding tub, and nothing will get taken out of it until it gets full enough of worms that it needs to be divided up. If I continue to feed them, and keep the environment moist, but not wet, within a matter of a couple of months that tub will be full of thriving wiggling worms.

It was a help to the other tubs though that I decreased their numbers some. No it really wasn't that big of a decrease in their numbers, but enough that they will want to start breeding some more again. We have a couple of heavy duty 5 gallon buckets that have lids on them in the kitchen. I'm waiting on my hubby to get the lids off of them so that I can wash them out really well. If it were just dirt it wouldn't bother me, and I would let it go, but its not, its chemicals in them.  Once the lids are off and they are good and clean, I'll drill holes in the lids, and sides, add some bedding and then take more worms out of the tubs to downsize their populations again, and encourage them to continue to breed some more. It does sound like I'm a worm hoarder, but I promise you I'm not. I just want lots and lots of worm poop so that I have a really really good garden.

Well everybody, I hope you are all staying safe, I'm seeing more reports of snow and cold weather sweeping through again.

No comments:

Post a Comment