Recipes

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Another Day on the Farm






We've had quite the day on the farm today. We did our first chicken cull, and are now down to 2 roosters. My hubby and his long time friend Aaron, did the culling. They did 5 roosters, and 1 hen. We had to take care of our hen that was an egg eater, and could not seem to be discouraged.

We've done a bit of what's known as chicken math, Yesterday (Friday) I gave away 3 chicks, and 1 rooster to a good home. Then today Aaron brought me a chicken that fell off of a chicken truck. I put that one in a coop for the time being to make sure that its not sick, and to get everybody used to it. And then we culled the 6 chickens today...so we were down, up and down, and are possibly going to go back up again.

I had to make the boys come in today for a bit, so as you can see, Sam is enjoying a blanket and the television. He seems to like the commercials better than anything else. He truly is a funny little man.

The next two pictures are of the chicks I hatched out. I love the little yellow and brown striped chicken. That little chick, has feathers going down her legs. She is a Dark Brahma/Rhode Island Red cross. I cant wait to see how this little chick turns out.

The last picture, is a pic of  just how awesome fresh eggs look. As you can sort of see by my "great" picture taking skills how it fills up the little fingering cup, and then how the yolk stands up instead of laying flat like the store bought eggs are. You can also see the rich shiny, yellow of the yolk. Its not as washed out as store bought eggs are. Truly there is a great difference in flavor.

Oh, it got up to 65 today!!! It was completely awesome!!!! It gave me hope that spring really is on the way...I'm hoping that we don't get the wintry mix that they are calling for next week.

So, I hope you guys are having a great weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment