Recipes

Monday, February 24, 2014

Chicken Math



Its been a busy few days, but thankfully things are slowing back down to normal again...or as normal as it can in our crazy house. As you can see by the top picture, we got some chicken stock made from our weekend butcher. The chicken pieces that are on the bottom of the jars, is what cooked off of the bones. We wasted as little as possible. We had some that didn't quite fill a jar full, so I used that this evening when I made dinner, and it was great.

As you can see by the next picture, we have more chicks than what we hatched out last week. (we hatched out 15, and I gave away 3, which left me with 12...and there are 30 in the chicken nursery now) (So we made a trip to Tractor Supply today...we bought 18 chicks, 3 different breeds, 6 of each, and its a straight run, so we don't know who's a boy and who's a girl) (but that's chicken math..lol)

Sam and Jasper were pretty tired last night after helping us make cut up the chickens yesterday, and then making the chicken stock. As you can tell, the boys are some great helpers. I love when they lay like that, they make me think of Ying and Yang. Its great to be able to see the difference in their colors, and their fur types.

Now, I couldn't remember if I shared the chicken that fell off of the chicken truck with you guys or not, so I thought I would share the picture just in case. This little guy is doing great. I was hoping to be able to let him out with the big chickens soon, but it looks like that Polar Vortex is making a comeback, and I would rather keep him/her safe and warm in the coop that's near the heater.  I don't think he/she can get up on the roost, so I don't really think he/she will be able to snuggle up with another bird anyways. I've got to admit, I'm really tempted to bring him/her in the house where its warmer, but in all honesty, the little fellow probably has it better in that coop than it did when it was on the factory chicken farm.

Yes, the Polar Vortex is coming back....I am so not looking forward to more cold weather. It was so nice over the weekend...It was in the mid to upper 60's all weekend, and NOW its calling for more cold weather, and snow...more snow...blah...I'm going to be so happy when spring finally gets around to getting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment