Recipes

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Still more hatching

As you can see, hatching wears everybody out. There are still several eggs in the incubator, but only one of them has a pip in it. Its looking like the Marans eggs have done just about all they are going to do.10 of them have hatched out, and 5 of the mutt eggs have hatched. Its a mutt egg that has got a pip in it now. Although, the Marans can take up to a full 24 days to hatch out, so there's no telling if they are really done or not at this point.

Its going to be another beautiful day here, so that means more melting snow, and more mud. I don't mind the mud, I just have to be careful not to slip and bust my hind end.

I'm hoping that my Rhode Island Red pullets start laying, like soon...like really soon. We are culling 10 chickens this weekend, and 5 of them are our first egg layers, who are barely giving us anything. They did quite well over the winter, but I think doing the supplemental lighting may have wore out there egg laying abilities a bit. That's ok though, more food for the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment