Recipes

Monday, May 5, 2014

Removing Rooster Spurs





Hey everybody!!! I know, shame on me, its been a little bit longer between posts than normal for me!!! Things around here this past week have been a bit crazy. Last week Frank worked a really long week, and that made more work around here, so that took away from laptop time.

So, this weekend we played a bit of catch up. We still have a lot that needs to be done with the Chickens, but we did the most important stuff first. We moved the Cornish Rock coop out of the chicken house, and into the run, where they wouldn't be so hot, and could get some fresh air, and with the help of Aaron, our happy chicken helper we got the Spurs off of Sinatra. That poor guy, those things were getting so long, he actually cut himself with them, and he was tearing up the girls. It did take 3 of us, and this indeed was the first time we've handled Sinatra since we brought him home last year. As you can imagine, catching him was not easy.

For this process, the first thing we did was make sure Sam and Jasper were in the house, because we didn't know how well this would go, and in all honesty, it was a very good thing, because he had to be caught twice.  The first time he got caught, he got free, and ended up in the middle of the front yard. But he knew where safety was, and I manned the door to the chicken run, and let him back in there, so that he could be caught a second time. This time, he was handed off to Aaron, who was wearing a pair of gripper gloves. So, While Aaron was holding on to him, Frank wrapped him up in a towel like a burrito, and then they covered his head so that he would be calm, but not suffocate.  Once that was done, they sat down in a couple of chairs across from each other, with Sinatra in Aarons lap, and his feet in Franks. (he's a really big bird, easily 14 pounds) I played nurse, and handed Frank everything he needed. We used Vegetable oil to soften his spurs, and while Frank was doing that he examined the bottoms of his feet, which looked good. Once he was done softening them up, he took a pair of pliers (brand new ones bought just for this) and very gently, and very carefully rocked them back and forth until we herd a pop, and then they just lifted right off.

Now some people say that this is cruel, and like declawing a cat, but its not, and its not the same thing at all. For one, declawing a cat is a surgical procedure, in which the claws do not ever grow back. This is kind of like taking a fingernail off, that does grow back. Since my chickens are in a covered run, there is no worries of them having to defend themselves. I'm not saying a predator cannot get in there, because I'm sure that if there is a will, there is a way, but there are other roosters in there, to help fight off whatever may come. But Sinatra for the next 2 weeks, is in a big 10ft x 10ft run by himself, to give them a chance to scab over really well, and to heal up. We sprayed them down with this stuff called blue coat, which has an antiseptic in it. We also sprayed his wings down with it, so that his wing feathers can heal and start to grow back from where the chickens peck them. It will be nice to see those grown back. He's a pretty laid back guy, but right now, he's just not happy with us because we've taken him away from his girls. He will survive.

I tried to take a pic of him with his spurs still on, but I didn't quite get it right. I would have taken pics of the process, but I needed to be available should something go wrong. There are times, when the camera has to stay put.

In the third picture down, I did get a nice side shot of  Martin. He's really grown. The poor guy has been trying to get along with the ladies, but he's having a time of it, because he's still awkward, and figuring it out.

And yes, I took another selfie of myself with Spot, who is growing rapidly. She's my pal. I love that she lets me carry her around the run.

I got a nice picture of  a lot of our chicks, they are all growing up fast. Its hard to believe that in about 3 - 4 months we will have bunches of layers!!!! Next month however, we are going to have to do a rooster butcher. We have so many of them, that its just a bit crazy. I've decided that I'm no longer going to buy straight runs from Tractor Supply, because one ends up with way more roosters than hens that way. If I do buy more chicks from them next year, it will mainly be the sex links, and if they get more orpingtons in, I'll probably get more of those. I really like them, they have great personalities.

Well, I think I've rambled quite enough for today!!! Hope you guys are having a fantastic day, and I hope you all have a fantastic week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment