Recipes

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Heartbreak of Rabbit Breeding

Hi all, let me start with, sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Things get a tad bit crazy here as you can well imagine.  Last weekend we added a new bunny to our rabbit family. She's a Blue Silver Fox Bunny, but she didn't come with a pedigree, so she was a little bit easier on the wallet, just not the heart.

I picked her up last Sunday, from a wonderful lady that I met on a Rabbit group. She needed to downsize because she was running out of room, and most all of her Does had just kindled, and had lots of babies, so she really needed the space. This new bunny, who I named Doris (after Doris Day of course) was due to have a litter of babies, today actually. But the stress of the move, caused her to Kindle early. She had them on Weds and Thurs, and well, she ate all but 2, and those 2 passed away anyways. Doris actually had a very large litter, considering this was her first. She had 14 in total.

Now, from all of the reading I've been doing, I should actually breed her back today, but considering the size of the litter I'm going to wait 2 weeks, when I go to do my first breeding with Fred and Ginger. That way, if I have to, and Ginger turns out to be a good mom, I can foster some of Doris's kits over to Ginger.

So, on to some other Bunny news, I don't think I've mentioned anything about Cadburry and Pinkerton, who we have to recheck to make sure they are both still girls since we've gotten past the 8 week mark. (Apparently its not always accurate when you check them before 8 weeks). They have both grown significantly. Pinkerton, is probably close to 5 pounds if not over. The bigger she gets, the less she lets us handle her, which could be a problem, but I don't know yet. Cadburry, our bunny mixed with New Zealand and unknown pet rabbit, is starting to look like she may be mixed with Rex, which is a smaller rabbit. She's going to be a smaller bunny.

We still want to get into New Zealand Rabbits, we just have to wait until we have more cages built, and such. That has to wait until our Silver Fox bunnies give us babies that we can sell, so that we can get the money to build more cages. I have a feeling that no matter how many cages we end up with, its never going to be enough!!!

Hopefully you all have a very wonderful weekend!!!! I'm going to go around sometime soon, and take some pictures of a few things that are popping up around the yard!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment