Recipes

Sunday, May 11, 2014

My growing chicks





These are some pictures I took before I got icky, and wanted to go ahead and get them uploaded and shared with you guys this evening (while I'm waiting to take my final dose of antibiotics for the night). 

So, everybody is truly growing quickly up there in that run. In fact, they have grown even more since I've been icky. When I saw them, when I finally ventured outside, I was like wow!!! Its just amazing how fast these little guys grow. Then again, I guess they would have to grow quick considering some chickens start laying at 4 months old. 

In the first pic, are my Golden Comet Chicks that I bought from TSC...oh I'm not going to lie, I don't remember when I bought them, but they are my youngest chicks. They are probably 6 or 8 weeks old at this point at least. (yeah, I did not do well keeping up with anybody's age this time around...even my hatches)

In the next 3 pictures are some snap shots, where I was trying to get a good Pic of Spot, but it wasn't happening...until the third picture, where she just awesomely stood up, and pointed in a great direction. I'm not going to lie, at this point she is my most favorite chicken I've ever hatched out. Even if she turned out to be a he, I think I would have kept her. Spot lets me just scoop her up, and carry her around the run, I talk to her, pet her...and just have a grand time with her.

The last pic, I had set my egg basket down in the grass to secure the door. When I turned back around to pick it up, I just had one of those...ooooh pretty moments, and decided I needed to take that picture.  Now, I must tell you all that my girls have turned into power layers. I have 14 that lay. Of course my older ladies have slowed down, but that's quite alright. I get between 10 and 13 eggs a day. I don't think I'm going to be getting 14 in one day anytime soon. Once all of the pullets are old enough and start laying, I believe I'm going to be getting a lot of eggs...no complaints about that.

Speaking of my older girls, Dot, Buffy, Maud and Red, 3 of them have started giving me doubles. That pretty much so means the end of being able to hatch those eggs. I'm kind of disappointed about that, because I really wanted to see if I could make another chick like Spot.  Dot, the Dark Brahma, and Sinatra are her parents. I've also decided that those 4 cannot be removed from the flock. I've come to realize that with the girls, there will be a power struggle between Sinatra and Martin, until their own personal flocks have been established. There are more than enough for each boy, but if those 4 are removed, then Sinatra is going to want them replaced, and he will take them from Martin, and that's just not going to make for a very good situation.

Ah, as we know, we had Sinatra in isolation so that he could heal. Of course the part where he had to be captured, wrapped in a towel, and pretty much so blindfolded wasn't helpful either. He hasn't become aggressive towards us, but he trusts us even less now than he did in the beginning. He will actually go to the opposite end of the run when we walk in. If I go into the house, and he's on a roost, he will jump off of that roost, and go into the run. I feel really bad, because I was able to go in there and collect eggs, and do just whatever needed done in there while he was roosting, and he just sat there and watched. I'm hoping by the end of the summer we will be good again.

Alright, I'm just minutes away from being able to take my last antibiotic for the night, and I think I'm ready for bed. I made myself do stuff today, and I'm pretty tired. (not much just basic little things)
I even crochet!!!!
Hope you all have a great week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment