Recipes

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Worm harvesting





These last few days have been blissfully wonderful weather wise. Its been warm enough to do lots of outside stuff. So, We've been harvesting our worm tubs. (I was already in there setting up tubs for another lady, so we thought why stop there) We went ahead and harvested all but 2 of our tubs. 

My husband made the worm/casting harvester that you see there. It probably would have been easier to put together if my hubby had been working at a table, in a workshop, rather than in the middle of the living room floor....but you work with what space you have I suppose.  If you are interested in building your own, you can go here http://mlaine.homeip.net/Trom/  These are the instructions we used, and they worked quite well, only it cost us a bit more than what he has listed price wise. (probably because of either area or tax, or time difference between when he posted vs. current prices)

We got a good 4 gallons of worm castings, which I was originally thinking about selling, but decided with all the work we put into getting them, that we needed to keep them for our own garden.

Sorry I didn't get better pictures, but in all honesty, my hands were covered in worm goo, and its really not feasible to take pictures while you are wrist deep in worms, and worm poop. You guys have seen my worms anyways.

Next week, I'm going to write a couple of blogs on raising worms, and feeding worms. Mostly some basic how to stuff for the beginner.

No comments:

Post a Comment