Recipes

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Feeding the Worms





Yesterday was worm feeding day...as you can see by the pictures...I blended up some frost bitten fruit I had from the freezer, and some potatoes that had started to rot a bit, and then I mixed in some of the most delightfully yummy used coffee grounds...oh it was quite a feast I mixed up for those little wiggling worms...In the second pic is a fairly new worm tub, which is why it looks so much cleaner than the other tubs in the pic...but given a few weeks more, and it will be just as "dirty" looking as the others. In the next two pictures I was trying to show you guys some worms eating away at the paper, and food that they are finishing up with..
In the final picture as you can see, if you sometimes end up with some seeds in there, the poo that's in there will actually sprout, no matter the age...I'm not completely certain what those seeds were, but the good part is, those little buggers will indeed eat those as well. Now that tub is also our lets try new things we've herd tub...my hubby had read that you can dump your vacuum canister in there as long as you haven't been using any chemicals in there...so I did, and I don't think it shows very well in the picture, but the worms are in there eating away...they do seem to like it. Since its a success, I'll probably empty it in the other tubs from time to time. For the most part, I plan on dumping it on the compost pile. One less thing to fill up the trash can.

So once again, you can see how raising worms in your home (or even having a tub outside in good weather) Is great for the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment