Recipes

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March Snow





If there's one thing that's for sure and certain, when it comes to spring, we're not out of the danger zone for snow until at least May. This is what we woke up to Monday morning. Originally we were only supposed to get about 5 inches....BUT we ended up with just over a foot. When I was a young child, I was always delighted to see a winter wonderland...mostly because I didn't have any worries...well, except for how many days such a snow would get us out of going to school for. Now, we aren't that lucky...chickens still have to be fed, and the bills still have to be paid.
  
Speaking of chickens...*sigh* My egg numbers haven't been the best here lately, and I had suspected that I had an egg eater. I went out to the house for my second trip of the day, and discovered that my suspicions were correct. I found an egg shell with a perfect hole in it, with the insides completely gone. We are thinking were going to have to go ahead and just cull everybody and start fresh. Its not something I'm looking forward to wanting to do. I may be able to get away with just culling the older chickens and seeing if that will solve the issue. I know that my chicks in the coops and crates aren't responsible, and I'm hoping that my RIR pullets and White Leghorn pullets aren't responsible. I'm assuming that its the black star, and the Marans that are responsible because they are the only ones that show signs of eating eggs. We have a roll away coop that we plan on installing here soon. I'm hoping that we can get that installed soon, and that will solve the problem all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment