Recipes

Monday, November 11, 2013

Love my chickens

This is going to be one of my posts where I just talk about my chickens. Why??? Well mostly because. I have a few updates, and a funny story.

First of all, we have a shipment of chicks coming in on Friday. We ordered them through a company called ideal. There will be 5 Rhode Island Reds, and 5 white leghorns.  We Sid the math and they should start laying in late May, or early June. We wanted those breeds because they are great layers, AND because the leghorn mixed with the RIR will make what's known as a sex link, and those are super awesome layers. We have a sex link, and since she started laying, she has only missed one day.  Right now, she's my prized hen.

The chicks that we hatched out, have grown so fast!!! They're still small, but they are only a couple of weeks old. They have started getting their feathers in, and have started changing colors. Well the black ones are still black.

The girls outside have seriously slowed down on their egg laying production. Frank and I installed a light on a timer, and today for the first time in weeks I got 4 eggs. I had been just getting 2, and then this past weekend 3. I'll be happy when I get back up to about 5 - 6 a day. We have some people who we share them with for helping us with a few random things.

So, now...onto my funny story. So as you all know, I've not been around roosters until Sinatra came to live with us.  Well, one day I was our there checking food and water, and egg hunting, and I herd him making noises like a dog barking. I thought oh that's funny, I didn't know roosters made that nose. A couple days later Frank comes in and asks me if I've herd the rooster barking like a dog, I confirmed that I had  and didn't know they made that nose...turns out they don't. He had herd Sam and Jasper barking in the yard, and was imitating them. That really was funny when I realized that. Well yesterday, I was walking up to check stuff up there l. He had run the girls into the house and was standing in the middle of the run barking up at the trees. He was.barking at a hawk!!! I told Frank about that, and apparently he had watched the dogs barking at a turkey, and saw the turkey run away. I suppose he thought if stiff ran off when they barked at it, then it would work for him too. I love that rooster!!!

Sorry I have no pictures for you all right now, but I will have some in the next day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment