Recipes

Thursday, December 4, 2014

new egg layers!!!!



So, even though you can't tell in the top photo, that egg is olive green!!! My Easter Egg chicks that we ordered through Cackle back over the summer, have started laying!!! So far two of them are laying. I'm very excited to see how many different colors I get once everybody is laying. (I know they won't lay different colors each time, but they aren't all going to lay olive green)

I was packaging up eggs the other day for an egg order, and got rather artful with my packaging. I thought it would be fun to go from light to dark, and I was quite pleased with how it looked...it was fun. Seeing as they were for one of my husbands male coworkers, I don't think they noticed how pretty they were packaged.

Our chicks are thriving by the way, they have gotten tall enough, that I was able to start filling up the big feeder that sits on a stand up off of the ground. They are wasting way less food now too. With the smaller feeders that sat down on the ground, they were wasting a lot. I think over half of it ended up on the ground.  It shouldn't be more than a couple of weeks before they are able to go in with the big chickens. I'd like to keep the roosters separate until its time to butcher, but I'm not sure how well that will work.


No comments:

Post a Comment