Recipes

Saturday, July 12, 2014

New Egg layer Alert and Bootlegger Beans recipe



I have some new Egg layers in the Hen House!!! That's always exciting stuff. I know for a fact though, that this girl, dropped this egg. I'm going to start referring to her as Cinnamon, because she looks like the Sex Link breed known as Cinnamon queen. The father is a Rhode Island Red (Sinatra) and The mother is a White Wyandotte (Maud), and that is according to the charts how a Cinnamon Queen is made.  This will probably be the only one we will get from Maud, since she's an old gal now, and isn't laying as often as she was, AND since she's started laying double yolks.  The thing that surprises me the most, is how much her eggs, resemble the Copper Marans eggs. I just kind of wonder how similar they will taste to those.

We went to a cook out last night, which was a blast. I baked some pies, and made some beans, and randomly different salads. This pie was made from all ready made stuff, because I'm a horrible crust maker, and had so much going on that I didn't have time to make homemade filling. So I just unrolled the crust, and opened up a couple of cans of cherry filling. I did however make the hearts myself using some little cookie cutters that I have.  Even though I love to do from scratch stuff, sometimes, a girl just has to take a little break, and do what they must.

One of the things I made was bootlegger beans. Its something my husband grew up eating, and is an old recipe. I thought that I would share that recipe with you guys, since every time I mention it, peoples reaction is always..."What are Bootlegger Beans???" so Here is the recipe!!! (I'm overdue sharing a new recipe with you all anyways, and this one is surprisingly easy!!)

Ingredients:
3 Slices bacon
1 Chopped Onion (small)
1 Large can pork and beans
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. Ketchup

Directions:
Brown bacon. When bacon is half done, add chopped onion. When onion is slightly browned, pour off most of the grease and add pork and beans. Add the 3 remaining ingredients. Stir well and cover. Simmer at least 30 minutes.

That's it...that is all there is to it, and its surprisingly delicious. In fact when I told Frank I was making beans to take to the bbq we went to last night, he specifically requested these, and honestly, he never ever asks for me to make anything, ever. Usually he just goes along with whatever it is I'm going to make. So, since he asked, I was more than happy to comply.

I hope you all enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment