Recipes

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dogs and Rabbits and Chickens oh my

Hey there, I know I haven't given as many updates as I should have lately on the goings on of the farm here, so I decided that well, I need to update my wonderful readers!!!

As you can see by my picture here, Sam and Bella are getting along greatly!!! Although things aren't always this calm and wonderful. Bella has been doing great getting to go out in the yard with the boys, and has been staying far from the fence line. She is still having to go into the crate at night though. We thought we were going to be ok not putting her in the crate at night, but we were wrong. She was getting up and having potty accidents all over the house.

Well, it looks like we won't have baby bunnies until about October. It would seem we need to let our rabbits hit about 8 months old before we breed them. Or at least that's what I've been told in my Silver Fox rabbit group. Although with the heat, there is a good possibility that Fred is temporarily sterile anyways. I was hoping to have some baby bunnies sooner than that, but good things come to those who wait. Although, looking at Cadburry and Pinkerton size wise, I may go ahead and breed those two next month. I just need to make sure to have a nest box ready for Cadburry. I'm not sure how she will do as a first time mom, but with her being an inside bunny, it will be great to get to watch the babies grow here.

Dot, my senior Dark Brahma hen has gone seriously broody. I've got to get Frank to take the roost bars off of the chicken roost, so that we can get in there and get her out of that back corner where she has decided to take herself. I've been thinking about setting up a broody hen with some eggs to see if they will hatch them, but I don't really have any place to do that. Although, right now, I need to do something about her because I suspect she's not eating or drinking, and its been about 2 or 3 days now. I did not know until recently that senior chickens will go broody so much. I thought Buffy was going to go broody, but she got bored with it really fast, and went on about her own thing.

My chicks that are in the grow out pen are still doing really well. Growing quickly, and eating plenty. It always amazes me how fast they start to grow once they are on the ground and pecking around, and doing chicken stuff.

I'm thinking about setting up the incubator and hatching out a few eggs. I've got hatching fever...lol...mostly I want to hatch some meat birds. It is fun though watching them grow in the shells, and then seeing them burst free from their shells. Its just kind of magic.  I do need to wait though until I have some free coops.

So, that's it, now you are as up to date as I am!!!
Have a great week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment