Recipes

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

honeysuckle jelly

Last night, I decided to try something different. I belong to all of these different online pages, and groups. Most of the time, I just scan through, and read whatever catches my eye...well Honeysuckle Jelly caught my eye in a big, fast way...who doesn't remember picking them when they  were kids, and carefully pulling out that string...tung ready to catch that little bit of nectar that drops out..oh I know I did.

So last night I set out to pick enough of these flowers to make a batch...I stood at the foot of my driveway with a giant blue bowl picking, and picking, aaaaand picking, until my bowl was full. Somehow I had miraculously managed to pick exactly enough, no more, no less...luck was with me...so now, I will share the recipe with you, along with a couple of pictures.

4 cups honeysuckles, with the green tips carefully cut off.
4 cups of sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package of liquid pectin
4 cups boiling water.

Directions
Boil your 4 cups of water on stove. As soon as it comes to a rolling boil, turn off heat, but leave pan  on the burner. Put your 4 cups of flowers in boiling water, and let steep for 45 minutes.

After this has steeped, strain into a glass bowl. (I just use a coffee filter, inside of the thing the filter sits in to make coffee.) Then in a sauce pan, put 2 cups if the flower liquid, your sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil that will not stir down. Add liquid pectin and boil for 2 minutes. Then quickly pour into clean sterile jars, and lid them as you would for Abby other jelly/jam.  As long as you have worked fast enough, you shouldn't have to do a water bath. I never do with any of my other jams or jellies.

Let sit over night and check lids in the morning to make sure they sealed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment