Recipes

Monday, June 3, 2013

Getting Ready

My husband and I have an old farmhouse, that sits on about 3 acres of land.  The front yard is mostly hill, with some big ol rocks in it, that I'm working on prettying up.  The back yard, is flat, but sloped some.  We've been there for 8 years, 9 years come October.  For a few years now, I've been playing around with the idea of getting chickens for eggs. Recently, I've started acting upon that idea. 

So, while my husband was on vacation, I had him help me set up a chicken coop, put up some fencing, and lay down some chicken wire to help keep the chickens in the fence, and hopefully to keep the predators out. This is on top of the fact that he's been working on building my worm harvester..more on that in a minute. 
So, as of right now, I'm armed with a book, and am mostly set up, we had to get a second chicken coop, because were getting more chickens than originally planed upon, so that will be set up this week. Friday we are going to go and pick up the chickens, I'm pretty excited about that. I grew up playing around chickens, and turkeys, and goats, and one mean goose. Whenever we would go to my grandparents house, we would play in the yard, where all of these creatures lived. We never really gave them a second thought really.  But mostly I grew up playing in the culdesac of a subdivision, where we didn't have these creatures. 

Fast forward to my adult hood, and second marriage. I marry a man who comes from a long line of Veggie gardeners, so I learn all about squash, and green beans, and other such things...and then I learn to make jellies, and jams, and breads, and things.  It wasn't until recently when I realized we go through a lot of eggs, and that egg prices are going up something crazy, that I decided it was time!  Thankfully however, I am married to a man, who does know something about chickens, and how the basics go for caring for them. 

I do already have a worm farm. I've not made any kind of money off of my worms as of yet, but its still in the early stages. I have one tote so far that is about to be split into 3 separate totes, and another that will be split into 2 totes, and the other 2 totes are still young enough that yes, I can separate them, but not in half, I can take some out of each tote, to make another tote.  Soon we plan on getting into fishing worms as well.  We really do want to make the best use of our land, so that we can try to be as self sufficient as we can. I'm not going to say that we are homesteaders, or real farmers or anything like that, but I do believe times are changing again to where we need to be able to do these things again. They say that things always come full circle, and I believe that they really are circling back to being able to do the things that we've taken for granted for far to long.

In this blog, I hope to share with you recipes, crochet/quilt patterns. My experiences with my little farm, and just about anything that may come up! Please be patient as right now is a really busy time. I do plan on posting as many pictures as I can. But this is a new blog, and sometimes they take a little bit to get going!!!
Until then, have a happy day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment