Recipes

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chicken home is ready!

For a few years now, I've been playing around with the idea of raising chickens. I mean, after all, we do live in an old farmhouse...and we do live in the country...so why not??? Fresh eggs are the tastiest things when you can get them.

I'm picking them up Friday evening. I'm getting already started chickens from a girl I went to school with...she is providing me with a nice variety of them...and yes, I plan in naming them....and unfortunately, I'm corney enough, one of them will be Henny Penny.

We bought the coops from Tractor Supply...and to be honest with you for what we paid for them, I think they were kind of cheaply made...but that's what happens when you don't want to build something yourself. As you can see, the yard that they will be living in, is our old dog kennel...I guess you could say we upcycled as they like to call it. The cover is the one we had when our boys Sam and Jasper were just little pups. I worried non stop that if there want a cover that a hawk would get them.  And no, they didn't live in the pen, it was just more or less a play pen for them, for a few hours in the morning, and a few in the evening. Seeing as I have huskies, you can imagine they needed time to play outside for a bit between long walks.

The only thing I need to get before we bring the chickens home on Friday is some food, and some bedding. All of which I will get from tractor supply tomorrow.
I'll post plenty of pictures when we get them home.

No comments:

Post a Comment