Recipes

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Adventures in Chickens

Getting used to my chickens is a bit more of a challenge than I thought it would be.  Last night, I knew that they needed to be pinned up in their coops, for their safety.  Even though they are in a nice big pin, that's is made so that they cant get out, and bigger animals cannot get in, that doesn't make it 100% safe from other wild animals, such as weasels, and other animals like that.  So, around 9:00 as it was pretty much so dark, but still light enough to see, I marched up the hill, and made the dogs stay in so that their barking wouldn't get to them. I knew I had to pick those chickens up, something that I've never done in my entire life.

The girls were pretty well settled and perched on top of the coops, and were working on going to sleep. So I circled around, and start trying to figure out the best way to pick them up...I decided I would get them with their backs turned to me.  I did get them...all of them, it took me about a half an hour, and some maneuvering, but I got them...by the time I was done though, I seriously needed a shower...I got covered in Chicken poo, and sweat...my white chicken, who I call Maud, was the first to pick up on the fact that it was quite comfortable in there, and there was a roost.

when I let them out this morning, around 6:30, they headed right for the food. There weren't any eggs, but when I went back out around 11 to make sure they hadn't eaten all of their food yet, I found an egg inside the coop!!! I have to admit, I'm quite pleased that they caught on to the fact that its a good place to lay their eggs rather than on the ground.

Sorry there are no pictures for this post, BUT  I'll have some for the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment