Recipes

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Yesterday

Yesterday was a bit of a sad day for me here on the farm. We've been having problems with egg eaters, and the three biggest culprits were my two French Black Copper Marans, and the black star.  My hubby and his partner in crime Aaron, butchered those 3. I would have loved to have found a way to keep them from having to be butchered, because they were 3 of my first 8 girls, but it was a habit that had gone on for far, far too long. When they butchered and cleaned them, they were so full of fat, that it filled a bucket pretty good. On the upside of this, there is hope that our egg numbers will start going up now, and that nobody else is eating them. We're thinking we may have to hook up a web cam in there just to make sure of it.

Now I did get to a quilting bee yesterday, that's here in town. That's always a blast. It was a full house as well. There was much talking, and sharing going on. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut out some stuff to have something to work on while I'm there. I've been wanting to make a grandmas flower garden for many years now, and that's something that's hand sewn traditionally anyways, so maybe I'll do that. Just get myself a little basket, and have that to work on. Maybe it will be something I'd want to work on here in the evenings during my down time or something. Who knows with me!!!

I got part of the raised garden cleaned up on Friday. That was fun, I ended up covered in dirt and mud, but who cares, that's part of the charm of gardening.  I got the onion bed part cleaned up, and I moved some of the walking onions around so that I can plant some other stuff in there with them this year. I'm going to be putting the cucumbers in with them. I got some bush cucumber plants, so I'm kind of eager to see how that goes. I'm thinking that I may put a tomato cage over them though to help protect them from Sam and Jasper. I'm hoping to make pickles this year. I already have my cucumber plants started here in the house.

I'm also planning on trying my hand at making ketchup this year. If all goes well, I'll be making pickles, ketchup, salsa, and maybe even tomato juice. I love homemade salsa, its so great on eggs...there's nothing better than eggs with salsa and cheese on them.

I'm thinking about doing a giveaway here on this page to get some people to start following my blog a bit better. Once I make my decision, and decide what kind of a giveaway to do, I'll let you all know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment