Recipes

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Stuff







One of my white leghorns started laying, which made me pretty dang happy!!! It feels like we are putting in a lot of work, (and feed) for very few eggs. Some of the eggs we were getting, we aren't getting because we had to butcher those due to the fact that they were eating eggs. (oh joy) Now we do highly suspect that our leghorns are eating eggs, but we are working on trying to break that since we've been working with them since November when we got them as baby chicks. We are thinking about setting up an area in the one garden where we can put them for a while to see if segregating them will help. We are hoping that we can break them of it...although I think we are having a problem with our Rhode Island Reds as well.
We are pretty positive that the Leghorns are our worst culprit, because I put some fake eggs in the chicken house that look pretty darn real. Well I stood back and watched to see what would happen, and the Leghorns attacked them pretty viciously. I was really worried that my roosters were involved in this, but they just kind of walked in to see what the girls were doing, and turned around and walked back out. SO thankfully that takes care of that.

I took a picture of the new Leghorn egg, and then took a pic of it with my red star egg. She's been laying longer than anybody in the hen house...about a year now I think. I wanted you guys to see the size difference between a new layer, and a well established layer. Its fun to see I think.

Since I put everybody outside in the grow out area so they could finish getting big enough to be with everybody else, my chicks have really grown!!! They are really happy out there too. They have a blast running, and pecking, and digging, and jumping. My Easter Egg chicks have grown and gotten quite beautiful. All 4 of them have different patterns, which I find to be quite fun. This one was the only one who stayed still long enough for me to get a pic.

The two worm tubs that I set up in trade for the rabbits are nice and active. They have really started reproducing well, and are really working well. The hubs has started assembling the rabbit hutches. I helped him to get the wire cut yesterday (sort of).  We're going to go to Tractor Supply today, because somebody there has Easter Bunnies, and we're thinking about maybe getting one to add in for the fun of it.

Wildflowers are in bloom!!! They are absolutely beautiful!!! These are blood root. This is the first year we've seen them. Mostly because of the brush. Thanks to a group on FB, I was able to find out what they were. One lady was even nice enough to send me a link to them, and I find them quite fascinating. Native Americans used to use them for many different things, and I found that to be a fun fact!!!

Well, Hope everybody has a great weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment