Recipes

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Gardening Stuff





While I'm having my morning coffee break, I thought I would sit down and share todays adventures in farming!!!

As you can see, I have my celery planted, and we are off to a pretty good start so far...just as long as I remember not to fertilize it with coffee grounds like I did the last one...*sigh* that was literally my bad.  I'll just have to make sure to keep it nice and moist for the next few days. I would have loved to have used the same orange pot that I used last time, BUT I left it on the porch, and forgot to bring it in, and it cracked when it got buried with snow over the winter, so its gone with the wind. Its not like I don't have a shed full of pots anyways.  I'm planning on starting a second celery plant once I get some more celery. I'll be needing some here in the next few days so I wont be long without the celery bottom to get started again.

My seeds I planted last week have taken off!!! The squash plants literally pushed the lid off of the one seed tray. Here as soon as I finish my coffee break, I'm planning on heading out and getting a bag of dirt. I'm going to go ahead and get them in some Dixie cups, in hopes that they take off nicely. If I was smart..(I said IF) I would have been saving the little pots that my previous veggie plants came in that we bought, and I could have just put them in those to grow nicely....but I never said I was smart. I have plenty of those little Dixie cups, so no big deal....although I do have a huge pile of the red solo cups as well, so If I wanted to plant them in something they could really grow in...ahhh...sweet ramblings.

Yesterday the Hubs and I went and got the wire we needed, and the feeder and water containers for the rabbits. We just have to get the wood so that he can frame them up, and the food, and then, well I've got to pick up the rabbits. We're planning on having those put together tomorrow evening...BECAUSE...on Saturday at Tractor Supply (such a dangerous place) there is going to be somebody there selling Easter Rabbits...and the Hubs thought that it would be fun to get some of those as well...Just like chicken math, I believe that there is rabbit math as well...and its started here before we have even gotten our first batch of rabbits.

While we were at Lowes getting some wire, we walked by the books, and saw some interesting books on Chickens. Well we are book people here, and we decided to get this one. Its through the FFA, which in my mind is a grand establishment. This book is full of beautiful pictures, and so much information. In the beginning of the book it goes over some of the history of chickens, which I find to be very interesting.  If you happen to run across a copy of it, I highly recommend you pick up your copy of this book.

Well, coffee cup is almost empty, so I'd better close this up and get moving along!!! Enjoy this day, its going to get up to 72 here today, so I'm planning on enjoying every bit of this sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment