Recipes

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spring on the Farm










So, as you guys can clearly see, I went picture happy the other day, this is the time of year where there is just so much going on with the tree's, and the bushes, and just everything!!! So that means, I've got to keep my camera in my hands.

It was raining the other day, and the nice big fat worm, was just moving right along. I thought about grabbing him for my worm tubs, but decided he was better off outside where he can do my yard, and garden plenty of good.

Pinkerton, who was really hard to handle the first day we brought him/her home, has really come around. Now the little white fluffy bunny will greet me at the crate door when I walk up to take care of everybody. Cadburry has gotten a little jumpy, but we think he/she is having a hard time adjusting to  the new surroundings. With a bit of time, I think that Cadburry will come around.

My doctor started me on some skin cream to take care of that skin condition known as Rosacea. I've had it most of my life, but he decided I needed to be on something. SO...using it, I need to wear a hat when I'm out in the sun.

The next 2 pictures are of our garden, which got plowed the other day. Once everything dries off, the guy who does the plowing, will come back and disc it up. We've got some compost that we've got to get spread before he gets here though. I want to get that, and the worm castings we have in there here in the next week or so.

My Red Bud tree's are blooming out so beautifully. I love those tree's. They grow at the edge of the woods, so its nice that they bloom out before everything else does, so I get to enjoy their beautiful color. I almost wish I could plant some in other places in the yard, but since we're going to be planting fruit tree's, I'll just have to enjoy them as is.

The Black Raspberry vines are leafing out really well. I'm hoping that we have a nice heavy crop this year. I'm going to save them for pies this year. I still have a bunch of jam and jelly left. As much Jelly as I've made over the last few years, I still have plenty to share around.

I love when I get to see some of the random things as the grass starts growing in the woods and brush. I get to see the random animal paths that have been beaten down by my dogs, and the deer, and the groundhogs...they remind me of little dirt highways.

And FINALLY we come to the last picture. One of my many gooseberry bushes are nice and leafy. I have 2 in the back yard, and then the whole side of the house has them lined up growing there as well. My hubby planted those there. The ones in the back yard, are more of a distraction for the birds, so we get a lot of them off of the bushes out front.  I haven't made any jelly out of those in a while, so I'm thinking there will be some jelly making done out of those this year.

Now the thing about Gooseberries that I have learned, no matter how tempting it is, let them get ripe!!! I remember the hard lesson I learned one year before we had our own. My dear sweet mother in law is one of those who likes to pick things before they get ripe, because she doesn't want the birds or deer, or bear to get them. Some things just won't get ripe after they've been picked. She gave me a big freezer bag full of these things...so I thought, well Frank likes pie, I'll make him a pie out of these, I found a recipe for this, and this turned out to be THE most beautiful looking pie I ever made. It got cooled off, and I cut Frank a piece, and cut myself a piece, and I took a bite of this pie, and it was THE MOST bitter pie I had ever had. It was like having a mouth full of that sour candy that makes you pucker up. Now either he really did like it, or he's one hell of a man, because he ate his piece, and went on and on about how good it was, and he even ate most of the rest of it over the course of a week. I haven't made a pie out of the stuff since. I may however have to try it again this summer.

Well, That is going to be it for now!!! Hope you all have a fantastic day!!!!!!

Oh, and I hope everybody enjoyed the Easter Pattern I wrote. Sorry I didn't do any kind of a commentary on it last night, but it was getting late, and seeing as Easter is this Sunday, I had to hurry to get it up there. I knew I hadn't posted a pattern since the little scrubby that I did.
As always, you can do whatever you want with what you make from the pattern, but please, don't sell the pattern, and please link back to me if you post pictures.

OH speaking of pictures, I would love to see what you make from my patterns. If you send me pictures of what you've made, I would gladly post them on here to share with everybody!!!!
Email me your name, and where you are from along with the pictures.
crochetbrandi@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment