Recipes

Monday, December 30, 2013

Done

Well, Christmas is over. Today I'm going to start putting away the Christmas stuff, and getting out my album that I put all of the pictures in that are sent to me as cards or in the cards.  And hoping that I put everything away organized enough that everything will come out easier in a year. (ha ha what a dream) Some people say not to take down Christmas stuff until January 2nd, but those people are apparently unrealistically addicted to their Christmas junk.  But I'm glad its over for the year. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I feel so much better now that its over for the most part.

The original 7 of our chicks are growing swiftly still. In fact I had to do a double take the other day, one of them was standing next to my red star, and she's almost as big as her already. Right now they are on an eating binge, so I'm thinking they are about to hit another growth spurt. We bought 200 lbs. of feed from Tractor Supply on Saturday, 100 of it was grower/starter feed, and 100 of it was cracked corn. We are mixing the cracked corn and grower/starter feed for everybody who is not in coops, those who are still in coops are getting straight up grower/starter at the moment. This spring we will go back to mixing the grower/starter feed with layer feed, but for now, the higher protein is good with the cold weather. Especially since we have some molting chickens.

I'm hoping to be able to release the 10 in the coops, and the 5 here in the house sooner than we did the last batch. I think with the forage block, and a head of cabbage we should be alright. I'm ready to be done with all of those separate feeders, and water containers. Not that its a bad thing, it just takes many trips back and forth to keep everybody fed.

Well that's about it for now, I'm going to try to get some pics today of my pullets and young roosters for you guys to see. Its been quite the journey with my first batch of hatchlings, but it was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment