Recipes

Monday, October 28, 2013

Chickens

As you can imagine, my little chicks are growing so fast!!!!  It won't be long until they have to go outside with their parents.  I'm assuming however that we have beginners luck with this batch. 7 out of 8 hatched. They are all healthy, all eating, drinking, pooping. They are active and growing, and they all made it through the first 24 hours of their tiny little lives.

As I was outside scooping poop out of the grown up chicken coops, and laying down bedding in their house, I couldn't help but think how much my chicken "hobby" has grown. We started out with a 10x10 dog pen, with a shade cover, 2 coops, and 8 chickens. I was dead set against a rooster, and was going to winterize the pen quite simply. Now they have a 12 ft long house, with electricity attached to their run and a rooster. We are planning on adding another 10 ft to their run this month if everything works out right.  Plus we have an egg incubator, and a chick nursery. We plan on setting up a second house and run to raise easter egg chickens to sell. Not to make a profit as much as to put the money into the chickens themselves for food, and even better shelter. I'm not sure that its a hobby, because we eat the eggs as well, and some if the chickens are being raised for meat.

In other news, I'm trying to find a list of local craft shows to join up with for my crochet work. That will be fun, and educational!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment