Recipes

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day on the Farm

So today was a busy day here on my little farm.  Other than doing the domestic goddess work, I also finished harvesting the worm tub I started harvesting yesterday. I put a bunch of fallen leaves in there with them. Worms like that kind of stuff!  This tub was going to get divided in half, but I realized as I was prepping it, that we got a tub that is twice the size of the tubs we had been getting. I'm not sure how we did that, other than we weren't paying attention to what we were getting because it was the same color as the other tubs we normally get. So, I didn't divide it up, I'll still have 2 extra tubs, I'll just divide up 2 other tubs. In all honesty I think there is only one other tub that really needs to be divided up, the other two tubs were made a couple of months ago, they were split from our original tub.

Then of course I've spent the day checking on my flock of chickens a little extra today. I'm gathering eggs for the incubator. Its due to be here tomorrow or Friday. I'm looking so forward to that!!! (well obviously I am because I'm already saving eggs!!!) I think its going to be hard when we get to the part where we butcher what was once a cute adorable little chick....one that we raised from an egg, but when I think about all of the nourishment its going to provide us over the winter time next winter...(yeah, I know we are planning our pantry for a year from now...crazy) Its kind of hard to figure I guess.

I've also been plotting and planning for the spring gardening as well. Its never too early to start thinking about that. I'm researching different strains of vegetables that will grow better in our soil. We are working pretty hard to try and get our garden soil better. The first step we took was by starting a compost pile when we got the chickens. From there I have a bucket underneath of my sink that I dump out there a couple of times a week. We are going to have to turn the pile here soon though, I'm not sure how hard or easy its going to be. Everything on the bottom of the pile is old bedding from out of the chicken coop, and its filled with chicken poop...then there is the layers of kitchen waste, egg shells, coffee grounds and scrapings from our dinner plates, and then there is some grass clippings where my husband tries to rake as much onto it as possible, when he mows the lawn, and some more bedding, chicken poo where I go ahead and scrape some of the poop out of the coops, and off of the coops into a bucket and dump on there...well you get the idea. What's on the bottoms has been there for several months now, and I'm assuming its going to be good to get it turned. I'm not really sure how often your supposed to turn a compost pile though, I may have to do a bit of research that.

I've found some really interesting links for some different things that I find helpful and just neat that I plan on trying. I'll be putting some links up in a blog post sometime in the near future for your viewing enjoyment.

Well folks, I think its time for this little Farm woman to retire for the night.
Sleep tight!!! And happy farming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment