Recipes

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Overnight Coffee Loaves


It's been a while since I've posted a new recipe, and as you all know, I've been having a ball trying out old recipes. This one came from an old Betty Crocker Recipe card set from 1971.   Somehow, when I make these old recipes, I manage to use just about every dish in my kitchen to make these things. I'm certain that there is a trick to that, I've just got to figure it out!!!! (oh please excuse the skillet in the back ground of the top picture, I had just finished making supper when these came out of the oven.)

1 package of active dry yeast (or 2 and 1/4 stp will equal 1 package)
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)(I just heat mine in the microwave for 1 minute)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Dissolve yeast in warm water. In large mixing bowl, combine flour 1/4 cup sugar and the salt. Cut in 1 cup butter until mixture looks like meal. Mix in yeast, egg yolks and milk until dough is smooth. Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

Grease 2 loaf pans, 9 x 5 x 3 inches. Turn half of dough onto well floured board. Roll into rectangle, 13 x 8 inches; brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, and the cinnamon; sprinkle half on rectangle. Roll up, beginning at narrow side. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Place seam side down in pan. Repeat with remaining dough.

Cover; let rise in warm place (85) for 2 hours. (Dough will not double) Heat oven to 375 degrees,  and bake 1 hour. If necessary, cover loaves during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Remove from pans, and frost with confectioners sugar glaze. cool before slicing. (Confect sugar glaze recipe below)

Confectioners Sugar Glaze

Mix 1 and 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons butter softened, 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of water until smooth.  Drizzle over hot loaves.

I truly hope you all enjoy this recipe!!! I have a lot more to come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment