Recipes

Friday, May 1, 2015

1934 Chocolate Cake and Icing Recipe













This cake proved, that I am truly the messiest cook in the world. I wouldn't say I had a great time, but I did do something I've not done, which is to bake a cake from scratch, and to make home made icing, and none of it came from a box!!! (This was probably one of the more expensive cakes I've ever baked on that note) Once again, you can find everything in your local grocery store, because even though this recipe is from 1934, it's actually rather simple, using real ingredients, that you may or may not have in your pantry now. (I of course got all of my ingredients from my local food lion, and the only thing they didn't have was the Hershey's Brand Baking chocolate. I just got another brand) (Mathew, you need to get on that buddy)

One of the things I have learned about a no bake butter cream icing is, you have to work quick with that stuff. As you can see by the picture, I didn't work fast enough and tore the cake a bit, but that's no big deal, it didn't alter the flavor one itty bitty bit.

So, here goes!!!!

Ingredients
3 Squares Hershey's Baking chocolate
5 Tablespoons Hot water
1/2 cup butter
1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 and 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

Melt the baking chocolate, cut into small pieces, with the hot water in top of double boiler over simmering water.  Cream the butter and sugar together well, add the egg yolks, and whip thoroughly. Then add the melted chocolate mixture, slightly cooled, the flour sifted with the baking powder and salt, then add the milk, mix well. Then beat egg whites together with the vanilla until it's stiff, and fold into the cake batter. pour into a well greased and flowered pan. (13x9x2 inch) Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick.

Now, I  know they say "don't eat the raw batter" but let me tell you, I do it anyways, because you just have to be certain...well let me tell you, this batter tasted way better than a box cake batter!!!!

Now, onto the Icing!!!
Chocolate Butter Icing
(Uncooked)

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
2 cup 4X Sugar (confectioner's)
2 Squares Hershey's baking chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
about 2 tablespoons of Milk or light cream (I used whole milk)

Directions
Cream butter, and then gradually add the sugar while beating constantly. Next add melted baking chocolate, and then add vanilla, all while beating. Thin it with the milk 1 tbsp. at a time, you can add more if you need it thinner. Spread on warm cake.
This makes 1 and 1/3 cups of icing or enough for an 8 or 9 inch layer cake. But make sure you get this on the cake while it's warm. I probably also should have made my icing a bit thinner since I am still working out the kinks of baking with old recipes...and since I didn't get the icing on while the cake was a bit warmer.

Well enjoy!!! I know we will!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment