Recipes

Thursday, May 21, 2015

happenings

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures yet again, but it's a gloomy rainy day, and they probably wouldn't have turned out so nice anyways...but then again, there is more to no pictures than the gloomy rainy day. I couldn't find my camera, and when I finally did, the battery was dead, and then I couldn't find my camera charger, and then when I finally did, I decided that I didn't feel like waiting for it to charge to do a blog. I'll get some good pictures on the next sunny day, and just do a picture blog.

We planted a bunch more stuff in the front yard. We went to Lowes to pick up some replacement plants. One of my Jalapino plants died in the garden, so I got a replacement for it, and then 3 of my tomato plants died, so I had to put the ones that were destined for the front yard back there, so I had to get 3 more for the front yard. Then I found that they finally had some Egg Plant plants there, in 6 packs, so I got one of those.  So, now in the front yard I have 3 Zucchini mounds, 3 Yellow Squash Mounds, 3 Patty Pan mounds, 2 mounds of mixed squash seeds, 6 egg plants, 6 bell pepper plants, 6 tomato plants, and they are all planted around my apple trees. In the back yard I have 6 tomato plants, 3 Jalapino plants, 4 egg plants, 2 rows of okra, 3 mounds of zucchini and 3 mounds of yellow squash. If everything grows up as I'm hoping it will, this is going to be a great summer full of fresh fruits and veggies.

This week, I've been gathering eggs from the Easter Egger pen. I'm only getting up to 4 eggs a day out of there, but by Saturday I'm going to set them to hatch. I currently have 14 on the counter waiting for me to set them. I will be selling the pullets, and butchering the Cockerels for winter meat. I'll be making soups, and then canning the meat as well.  Yes, it's not even summer, but we do have to work on getting ready for the winter. It's nice not having to go out into town when it's cold and blustery, and miserable. 

How many of my farming friends are planning for the winter now???

No comments:

Post a Comment