Recipes

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Canned Applesauce AND Apple Peel Jelly


Good Tuesday Morning everybody!!!! I've been canning and cooking again!!! Of course, I had to share with you guys, because everything turned out so tasty!!!! As you can see, I'm going to start with the Apple Sauce. This recipe has 2 different cooking directions, for either stove top, or crock pot. I've done the stove top once already, and knew it was tasty, so this time, I decided to try the crock pot. As we all know, I love my crock pot.

Canned Apple Sauce

12 Cups apples, peeled, cored and pureed in food processor or finely chopped. (Save those peels and cores)
1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp lemon juice

Peel, core, and slice the apples, then sprinkle with Lemon Juice

Puree the apples to consistency, then place into stock pot or crock pot

Add the sugar and cinnamon and stur (put lid on)

In Stock pot method, stir every few min to ensure apples are not burning, cook for 30 min.
In Crock Pot, cook for 2 Hours.
Then, put into sterilized jars. Then water bath Pint jars for 15 min, and quart jars for 20 min.

This really is tasty, when I've made it and shared with family, they absolutely raved about this.






And now, I knew I wanted to try to be able to get one more use out of those peels and cores before I fed them to the worms (and my worms are just so happy to have gotten such a yummy treat too by the way) I had been seeing all of these lovely jars of jelly made with the fruit peels in the many groups I belong to on FB, and I kept thinking, I know I can do this, how hard can it be???? Well, it wasn't hard at all, and yes I could do it!!!! When my mother in law gifted me with all of these wonderful beautiful red apples, I knew I was going to make apple sauce, and I was even more positive, that I was going to make apple peel jelly. I now have some green apples as well, and am going to be making another batch of something with those, but for sure, will be making jelly again. I just cannot wait to see the color difference. I'm honestly thrilled with the color that this jelly came out.
Now, I've read several different directions for this exact same recipe, so I just kind of went with the one that I liked the best. One requires you to let them sit over night in the water, and one wants you to let them drain for two hours. I went with the 2 hour drain. I just wasn't wanting to get up and make jelly this morning, I was more or less wanting to just have my coffee, and watch a little morning Doctor Who.

OK, so on with the Directions!!!!

Apple Peels and Cores
5 Cups water
1 Box pectin
7 cups sugar

1) Add peels and cores to a 5 quart stock pot. (Now, You will know you have enough if its filled with peels and cores, I used an 8.5 quart stock pot, because well, that's the smallest I own, and mine filled up pretty good)

2) Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes

3) Strain Juice through a cheese cloth, or a jelly bag. You should get about 5 cups of juice. (This is where the directions were different with the recipe's I just sort of meshed together. This is where I let everything drain for 2 hours)(don't squeeze the peels and cores, just let it sit and drain)

4) (optional direction) Let juice sit overnight to reduce sediment. (I had no sediment because I just let it do the slow 2 hour drip)

5) Add 5 cups of juice to stock pot, and gradually stir in pectin

6) Bring mixture to a rolling boil for 1 minute

7) Add in 7 cups of sugar

8) Return to a rolling boil, and boil hard for 1 minute

9) Skim foam and place in hot sterile 1/2 pint jelly jars

10) Process in a water bath for 10 minutes

So, that's it. Honestly, this last recipe probably requires more work than any recipe I've ever done. Now I will admit to you guys, that I had my most handsome husband helping me to peel the apples. He grew up in a church that did apple butter every year, and he had been trained to peel apples in a way, that makes the work go very, very quick...although, we have one of those table clamp apple peelers, and he can work that thing way faster than I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment