Recipes

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Frustrated

So, this morning, I decided that whoever came up with the term "breeds like rabbits" has obviously never had domesticated rabbits.  I was bound and determined that I was going to do my first breeding all by myself, without my hubby who can make just about any animal do anything he wants it to do. I was so proud of myself, I remember to hook open Ethel's cage to make getting her out easier, and so that I didn't get her caught on the door. I had the door to Fred's cage unhooked...so far so good...had on my gloves...got Ethel in my arms...so far so good...put her in the cage with Fred...and that's where things stop going good. She flattened herself out...so he comes over licks her ears, nuzzles her...plays it up, he's suave, and I almost thought he would have liked it if I'd lit some candles and put on some Barry White...So she gets up, and backs herself into a corner...*sigh*  So, I knew what to do, I'd read the books, and I'd seen Frank do it...I hold her front end, and gently take my hand and lift her back end...What does Fred do??? He comes and snuggles up to my arm...lays down and puts his head on my arm like hey there...how yo doin? So, I let go of Ethel, and he proceeds to get a fall off...on her face...so...after a good agonizing 10 minutes of watching Fred wear himself out trying to get the lady to let him love her...I take her out and put her back in her cage. (She gave me the stink eye all day long) I thought now look, I didn't waste all this time to not have a rabbit get pregnant today..so BETTY...Lets see if Betty will lift. She hasn't been bred yet...lets put her and Fred together...I get her out of her cage, and she just laid there...didn't lift, nothing...so I thought well lets try to help out my old buddy Fred...so I lift her rear end for him, and he cuddles with me...AGAIN...at this point, I knew the day was gone for trying to breed rabbits. By the time I would have to go back out to do the second mating, it would have been well after dark. So, I'm going to try again in the morning. I'm going to try Ethel with Fred again. If it doesn't happen, I'm going to leave her in his cage, and put him in hers and let her get his scent and then try it Friday morning. I'm not going to give up...I will make this happen!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment