Recipes

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Grans Chicken Soup








Even though today was a nasty, snowy, cold, stay inside kind of day, there was still plenty to do!!! We had some egg eating chickens, that just would not be broke...so I turned them into soup! Not just any soup, but my mother in laws chicken soup! (it's actually chicken noodle, but I don't can it with the noodles in it.) this recipe makes 6 gallons of soup. She makes it every year for the church soup and sandwich dinner. Let me tell you, chopping up 3 pounds of onions nearly did me in.

I hope you all enjoy this tasty soup recipe. I know I've never had chicken noodle soup this good. not only does it can well, but it freezes well too. The best part about cooking ahead to me is not having to think about it later, and an easy meal on a bad day. If you can this, it's 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes.

Ingredients:

1 Chicken, cooked, deboned, chopped.
2 bunches celery, chopped
2 pounds carrots, chopped
3 pounds onions, chopped
2 gal water
3 lbs home style egg noodles
2  8 oz containers chicken base
3 (12 and 1/2) oz cans chicken breast

Instructions:

In a very large pot, place water and broth from cooked chicken with grease removed. Cook vegetables in broth till tender. Add chicken base and noodles. Cook till noodles are tender. Add up to 1 gallon more water if too thick. Stir in cooked and canned chicken, just before serving. Makes approximately 6 gallons.

Like I said, this is the perfect recipe for making ahead. Better yet, if you have elderly neighbors, why not share???

No comments:

Post a Comment