Recipes

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Canning Carrots





It was another snowy weekend here in Woodstock Virginia, and knowing that I wasn't going to want to go anywhere, but would want something to do, I ran up to our local Food Lion where they have fresh carrots for 79 cents a pound, and bought 10 pounds of carrots. (I must admit, I loved the look on the gentleman's face when I asked him if he could get me such a large amount since they didn't have that much out)  There is always something year round for a good price that can be canned at the local grocery store. (I personally like Food Lion because there Veggies are always in much better shape, and have a great price.)

I got 20 jars of carrots canned, 3 jars of potatoes and onions, and 1 jar of potatoes onions and carrots canned.  At this point, the jars have been used enough times that you cannot count them in the cost factor, but of course you always have to count the lids themselves.  So in total each jar cost me 45 cents once you break down the cost of each lid.  That's one of the things I love about canning, is how far I can stretch my food budget.

But to can carrots (or potatoes) It's 10 pounds, and then 25 minutes for Pints, and 30 minutes for quarts.

Hope you all are keeping warm and safe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment