Recipes

Monday, October 6, 2014

Home Made Laundry Soap







So, as we all know, I love to try stuff I find on Facebook. This laundry soap is supposed to make 120 loads a batch, and double that if you have an HE washing machine.  Each batch only costs $2.00-$300 to make. That's a lot of laundry for a fraction of the price!!!

This was surprisingly easy to make. And of course as I always do, I followed my own directions. I'm going to give the directions to you as I followed them, with my own added in. I'm not going to take credit for this recipe, but I will tell you that there are 100 or more blog posts and websites with this exact same recipe.  So, that being said, I'm going to continue on to the directions. I'm going to put the price I paid for each ingredient. And just so you know, I found everything I needed in the laundry isle in Walmart, and let me say I was very surprised to walk down that isle and find everything there together. My guess is somebody in marketing knew that this recipe was getting popular.

ING:

1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap- Grated (.97 cents a bar)
1 Cup Arm and Hammer washing Soda ($3.97 a box, each box makes 6-8 batches)
1 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax ($3.97 a box, makes 6-8 batches)
3 cups water
2 clean quart canning jars w/lids (I decided to use the ball reusable plastic lids, so that I wasn't wasting my canning lids)

1) Place all ingredients together in a sauce pan, and simmer until dissolved. Be careful not to let it boil over.

2) Evenly divide soap between the two quart jars.

3)  top off with water and stir to combine (make sure jars are filled to just under the lid)

4) Let set up for 24 hours, it will separate into two layers; a thick white substance and yellow liquid. (I did not let mine sit for 24 hours, I let it sit until the jar and liquid in it was cool to the touch, so mine sat for about 5-6 hours)(I'm just that impatient)

5) Use a butter knife to cut through the white layer, and pour into a blender or food processor.

6) Blend one Jar at a time until smooth like mayo

7) Rinse out canning jars, before pouring soap back into them. there may be some borax crystals in the bottom. Then scrape the detergent back into the canning jar.

8) store in laundry room. Use 1 tbsp for regular load and 1/2 tbsp for HE.

Yes, there does appear to be a lot of instructions, but if you notice, its really not that hard, and it pretty much so breaks it down step by step. Now, I will admit, I bought a lot more supplies than I needed, but I won't have to buy supplies for more than a year, which is awesome!!!

If you all make this, or have made this let me know down below in the comments. I would love to see how you like or liked this soap. I'm thinking looking at the ingredients, my whites my just end up a bit more white.

No comments:

Post a Comment