Recipes

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

I'm sorry that there are no pictures of this fantastic desert!! Unfortunately it was gone before I remembered to take pictures!!! It was good to the last bite!!!
This was a recipe from scratch that  was pretty easy. Although, I can tell you all that separating egg whites from the yolks when the eggs are like just laid fresh, they do not separate quickly or easily.

I made this for Todays family dinner, with my husband family. My husbands family gathers together every Sunday, its a beautiful thing, and our group has grown this past year. My husbands one Aunt has started being a regular face at the table, and his one cousin, and his cousin's girlfriend have started having Sunday Dinner with us. Its been so great, warm and fabulous to have everyone together as a group. I've loved every minute of it. We had a health scare with my Father In Law, but Thanks to God, and Medical Science, he's going to be just fine. It's been an emotional few weeks, waiting and worrying, and not knowing what was going to happen.  You see, my husbands family is special to me in more ways than I will ever be able to vocalize, so I'm just going to move on, because finding words is getting hard here.

So here we go with the ingredients!
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick), butter, softened
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 egg whites
2 (16 oz) cans chocolate frosting

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour two 9- inch round cake pans.

2. Combine the cocoa powder and boiling water in a bowl and stir until the cocoa is dissolved, about 30 seconds.

3. Combine the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Beat with mixer until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Add the Cocoa mixture and mix for 1 minute longer. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla and baking soda. Add the flour and salt. Mix for 1 minute more.

4. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until stiff peaks for, 2-3 minutes. Fold into the batter.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, 25-28 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Spread the frosting between the layers, and over the top and sides of the cooled cake.

That's it, that's all there is to it!!! It may not sound quick and easy, but it surprisingly is!!!
If anyone makes this cake, send me pics, and I'll share them on here!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment