Recipes

Thursday, March 24, 2016

keeping busy

Hey there everyone! Just a random blog, full of my rambles. We've been keeping busy here, but in a good way. I'm hoping that we can get around to butchering here soon, because my meat supply is just about gone.
It wont be long before the eggs in the incubator go into lockdown, so I'll have newly hatched chicks by next week. I've already started setting back Easter Egg, hatching eggs again. So, I'll be able to rotate everyone out, and then in again. I may end up setting up the old incubator, so that I can get them in if I get all that I need sooner. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell the chicks about to hatch as straight run, or if I'll grow them out and sell them. Depending on how many hatch, I may just split it up and sell half as straight run chicks, and then grow out the other half.
We're going to breed Lucy this weekend. She grew out into a really beautiful Doe. (Lucy is the daughter of Fred and Ethel) Ethel and Doris's current babies are growing quickly, and are in all honesty some of the biggest kits we've had. I'm thinking about putting Lucy with George, because I know what genetics Lucy carries due to Fred and Ethel, and see what happens if we use George. (George is the Son of Fred and Betty)(George is my chocolate buck)
Once we have had 3 good litters from George, we're going to go ahead and write up his pedigree, and get his ear tattoo done. The same goes for Lucy. I seriously love Silver Fox Rabbits, but the pedigree part is hard, because you don't want to pedigree and SF rabbit that doesn't fit the breed standards.
We still don't have my peas planted!!!! When we had the time to till, it snowed...and then it rained...seriously??? I hate that I'm starting to run so short on time to get my peas in the ground.
Its funny though, how many people give me the odd look about the amount of peas I'm planning on planting. They just don't get that by planting a large crop of peas this year, I'll be able to can up enough to last for 2 or 3 years. Its like when I buy large amounts of Fresh carrots. I'm almost out of them now, and they've lasted me for 3 years. Its awesome being able to grow/produce my own food!!!
Well...that's about it from here for today! Hope everyone has had a fantastic week so far!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment