Recipes

Friday, January 8, 2016

Tetra Tints


I was trying to get some pictures of my tints markings, or feather patterns, or whatever it seems to be called on chickens...lol...I was lucky enough to be able to get these hatched out before we lost all of our Rhode Island Red Roosters. (Honestly, I've known that I needed to get new RIR Roosters back in the summer, but kind of drug my feet on it) But The one with the dark brown head is the one that I really wanted you all to see. She has heavy markings, which are just beautiful. I managed to get a front view, and a back view.

We actually thought that if we put White Leghorn Hens with Rhode Island Red roosters, that we would get a sex link. Well, with so much information out there, you are bound to get some misinformation. The first time we hatched these out, I was like oh aren't they beautiful once they started maturing. Frank on the other hand said, they look like somebody threw mud on them. As they matured, and started laying eggs, they really grew on him. Then one day, we went into Tractor Supply, and they had Tetra Tint Pullets, which I had not herd of before (had no clue that's what I had been hatching out.) So I went and looked up the hatchery that they came from, to try and see just what they were, because the name caught my interest. Low and behold, that's what I had been hatching out!!!

This summer, when I'm hopefully going to be hatching them out again, I hope to be able to hatch out a nice batch of them, some to keep, and some to sell, and the boys to butcher for winter meat.  They really are a fascinating bird to me, probably because I love watching to see how their feather pattern will turn out.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any updates to share? Pictures of the Tetra Tints as they matured? I bought two at TSC. Labeled as rare Tetra Tint pullets, but I think one is male. He had 5 toes on each foot and feathered legs. Definitely has another breed mixed in!

    ReplyDelete