Recipes

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

changes

Hello there again. Yes, I know I just posted some pics of the puppers, but this blog post doesn't go along with that particular post. So, I thought that I would just do two different posts today.

We're planning on making some changes here on the farm. Frank is still in the same line of work, however, he's Monday through Friday, mostly day shift, but I never know when he will be home. It's not a bad thing, and I"m not complaining one bit. I enjoy knowing that we can have the weekends together for the most part. His new position allows me to be home, and to be a full-time dog mom, and quilter. (I'm going to be making t-shirt quilts)

I'm going to be getting out of chickens for a while. The raccoons have been such a huge problem for us. They have been a heartbreakingly huge problem. I'll admit that I get attached to my hens, and my roosters, and when these attacks happen it makes things hard. We won't be out of them permanently though. We are going to completely redo the housing, and the run. We will be putting a roof over the top of the run, with a slant to deal with the snow and the rain. Then we will reinforce everything around the bottom to ensure that nothing will be able to dig in. I'm also planning on adding some barbed wire along the top, and electric wire at various points. The electric wire will only need to be on at night, so I'll probably make it solar powered and have it plugged in as well in case its an overly cloudy day. Basically, I'm going to dump everything I have into protecting my hens.

I want to look into changing rabbit breeds. I'm thinking along the lines of New Zealand. They grow out faster, which is what we need. I'm not worried about being able to breed more. I worry about over breeding. Some people will say you can't over breed rabbits, but I don't believe that's true. I like to know that my girls are well rested and can be the best moms they can be.

Frank wants to get into raising quail. I'm all for that and think it could be fun, and exciting. We've been watching tons of youtube videos. We also found some pickled quail eggs at Rural King, and they are really good!!!! They definitely don't taste like pickled chicken eggs. I think I could raise them just for the pickled eggs!!!! However, we have a lot to do around here before we can start in on the quail.

Well, that's about it for this day. I have lots to do and little time to do it, because I've spent more time playing on the computer today than I normally would.

No comments:

Post a Comment