Recipes

Monday, May 8, 2017

How are we this far into May already?

It seems like time and life is moving at a rather fast clip these days. I blink, and we've turned the calendar. It feels like the year just started, but I suppose it's true what they say, the older we get the faster time flies. I like to think it's flying by so fast because I'm having fun.

I swapped out half of my rabbits water bottles for a different brand last month to see how I like them. I had been using some from tractor supply, that weren't exactly cheap. They had a flip top lid that makes filling them quite easy. However, they kept developing leaks really fast that I couldn't make stop. So, I decided to try the other ones that they had there at TSC, that aren't flip top, and have balls in them. So far, I like them a lot better, even if I have to take them off of the cage to fill them. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the rest of my water containers, and then buy my extras for swapping out to wash. We haven't done any rabbit breeding because we have to completely rebuild a bunch of cages. We bought some wire from Lowes for the bottoms of the cages, and I guess something went wrong on the line somewhere while it was being made. Frank is starting to think that at this point, it would be easier to just buy the pre built cages from Tractor Supply. Honestly, I'm thinking he's probably right. Especially since we've added the ducks.

Ah, my ducks!!!! I really do love the little critters. They seem to be the happiest animals on the farm right now. I think it's because they always look like they are smiling. Unfortunately though, I've a bad habit of not handling my farm animals very much unless its absolutely necessary. This is a practice I started when we added the rabbits because of all the horror stories of "cross contamination". I've learned that they aren't always true, however I like to practice better safe than sorry. Anyways, since I have only handled the ducks twice since we got them, once when we brought them home, and then again when I had to put them in the carrier to take them outside, they aren't much up for interaction. I don't know how this will go for me when they are full grown, but they do know that I'm the bringer of the food and water.

My chicks that came in the mail are growing swiftly, not as swiftly as the ducks, but fairly swiftly. I think I will be able to have them outside in 2 weeks for sure. As long as it's nice out, I like to try and have my chicks outside by 3 weeks old. One of the 5 Rhode Island Red rooster chicks had to be moved into the brooder with the chicks that I was hatching. I think the poor little guy got crushed a bit when I had them in the starter brooder. He was leaning to one side, and had to hold his wings out for balance. I wasn't sure if he would make it or not when I put him in that brooder, but he's doing great. He barely holds out the one wing when he walks, and is walking upright now. I think he just needed to get to heal.   I'm not positive, but there is a slight chance one of my Delaware chicks is a boy. Ideal poultry only guarantees 90% that they are male or female, and if it is a male, out of more than 100 chicks that we've ordered from them, this would be the first time they sent me a male in place of a female. However, we aren't going to complain about it one bit, because we've been thinking about wanting to raise our own Delaware's anyways. I'm not overly familiar with the breed though, so I can't say for certain if my assumptions are correct.

I called UVA (University of Virginia) This morning to get the ball rolling on my hip replacement surgery. I got transferred to the guy who does all the scheduling for stuff like that. However, my call went right to voice mail, so I'm probably going to be waiting for the rest of the day for him to call me back. Nothing like hurry up and wait! If I don't hear back from him today, I guess I'll call back again tomorrow, and probably get to go back to voicemail.  That or he will call me back tomorrow while Frank is having his gum surgery. I am not complaining though, because I know how busy they are. However, I'm not happy that I have to go all the way to Charlottesville. The surgeon here won't touch me due to the severity of my hip.

So, now you all are caught up!!!! Eventually I'm going to get a tablet. I've given up on being able to post pictures from this computer. We have gone through and changed every single setting, and I've tried different  internet servers, and nothing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment