Recipes

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Snow...snow...and more snow

I didn't venture out to take pictures of the snow today because it was just way too cold. The way the wind was blowing out there, I just didn't want to spend much time out there if I didn't have to. So I just went out, did what I had to do and got back in.

We hung a third nesting box the other day, and its so popular, that we only had one egg laid on the ground today. Our egg count is back up, so that's a major plus. But 6 out of 7 of the eggs we got today were laid in the new next box.

So I'm convinced that the Black Copper Maran lays the best eggs ever. Unfortunately they aren't the best layers, but their eggs are just the tastiest...so that being said, I made my hubby do a great big internet search for some Marans to add to the flock...it would seem however that the chickens that I've fallen completely and totally in  love with are really hard to find, and are really expensive. So my hubby turned to eBay, the place to find anything, and he ordered an 18 pack of Black Copper Maran Eggs that are ready to be put in the incubator. I will be getting the incubator up and running as soon as they show up in the mail, and we will put them in the incubator the next day. I'm so excited about them. I have decided though, that I'm going to go ahead and breed my own, so that I can keep my own stock of Marans, specifically the Black Copper Maran. Now the coo coo maran is a common maran, but I don't want them. Its not about the fact that the BCM are rare that makes me want them, its the eggs...the eggs are just...I don't know how to describe it except to say they are rich in flavor.

I still want to raise Easter Egger Chickens, I just have to work on getting a coop/run plan in order for everybody so that they can all have their own space so that we don't have to worry about rooster fights.

I'm still waiting on my tester to get back to me on the pattern that I'm going to be sharing with you all, but I'm hoping that I'll hear back from her by tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

Keep warm and stay safe!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment