Recipes

Friday, June 30, 2017

June is at an end

This is the last day of June, the last sleep of the month. It's been a bit and humid month at that.

I've started working on getting my house ready for my hip replacement surgery that is happening in September. I found a couple of groups on FB, for people that have the same hip condition that I've lived with for most of my life now. I cannot express just how wonderful it was to finally talk to others that have had to deal with it the same way I have.
What I have is a joint disorder called Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. It happens to children between the ages of 10 and 15 for the most part, as they are growing their growth plate starts slipping, until the hip joints look like a melting ice cream cone. The first initial pains felt are in the groin area, and most parents just think the kid is having growing pains, well you all can Google it if you really want to know any more.  But needless to say, I'm going to feel like an entirely new person. I think the thing I'm the most excited about, other than having a lot less pain, is being able to the my shoe again. I've not been able to the my left shoe for the last 10 years.

I've lost 75 pounds, and still have 35 more to go before I make my big goal of 110.  I'm hoping to take off another 15-20 pounds before my surgery. That will put me at 165-170 pounds. Yes, right now I weigh 185 pounds. I'm not ashamed to say it, because when I started this train, I was 260 pounds.  I was about to have to buy the next size up in Jeans, which would have put me in a size 24, I was squeezing into my jeans, and I can't lie, they were quite painful.

Now, onto farm stuff!!! It looks like most of what hatched out, that I'm raising up are Rhode Island Red\Buff Orpington mixed, 3 pure buffs, and a Black Australorp \Orpington mix. I think the Australorp mix is a female!!! It's really neat looking, and if it is a she, I'm going to have to keep it.
Frank and I decided to keep the male Orpington. I realized that if something happens to Wesley, I don't have an Orpington rooster to take his place until I quickly hatch whatever eggs my Orp girls lay within a couple of days. So basically, I would be without a rooster to replace him. I've already started calling him Junior, because he seriously takes after his father!!! If his mom is the biggest Orpington hen, this guy may end up bigger than his dad.

The ducks are 13 weeks old already. They have slowed in their growth majorly. I don't know if they will grow any more or not. I'm assuming they probably will, because at just 4 months old they are rather big, and will probably grow a little more. As you all know, this is our first go with ducks. So we are learning as we go. We still have no clue how many are what gender yet.  I'm going to have a really hard time when butcher time comes for the excess boys. I'm not going to lie. I actually love these ducks more than chickens. They are the happiest animals I have ever come in contact with.

Well, there really is nothing more for me to ramble on about tonight. I'll close this up, and hope you all have a happy and safe 4th of July

No comments:

Post a Comment